Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi! Did someone say lamingtons? Sponge cake dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut! Mmmm ….A cake for any occasion really… when buttery sponge high on chocolate icing gets itself gift wrapped in coconut joyfully!
New Zealand and Australia are often squabbling over the origin of this treat. Lamington is an Australian delicacy but New Zealand likes to call it theirs. In the Kiwi land, it is called Wellington. Stories suggest Lord Lamington’s maid servant accidentally dropped a sponge cake into melted chocolate and he suggested to roll it in coconut and thus Lamington was born. According to the grapevines, Lord Lamington had it as Wellington in New Zealand and got inspired from there. But no matter what the origin is, one thing is truly worth its weight in gold that Lamington is simply a delicious creation.
- Preparation Time: 35 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
Total Time: 60 min
- 270g all purpose flour
- 130g unsalted butter (in small pieces)
- 230g sugar
- 3.8g baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 125ml milk
- 15g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10g butter
- 450g sugar
- 110ml boiling water
- 250 g desiccated coconut
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease a cake pan of 8 x 12 inch.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Beat the butter, vanilla essence and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix well.
- Add the flour and half of the milk, mix on low speed for a minute. Once it’s incorporated well, mix on medium speed for another minute with the remaining milk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes. The time taken for baking depends on your oven so keep checking in between by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Cool down for an hour.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. If it’s too watery by any chance, add more sugar.
- Cut the sponge cake into rectangles.
- Place the desiccated coconut in a tray.
- Dip the cake into the icing. Here you could use a toothpick or two forks.
- Once it’s coated with icing, roll it in coconut and refrigerate for an hour. Repeat the same with the remaining cake pieces.