The moment a culinary expression reminds you of a handcrafted masterpiece, get the cue a sure shot winner has embraced you completely. Lemon Meringue Tart is exactly that expression to the last letter. Be it form, the looks, the taste, the nirvana after effect…everything is just surreal yet absolutely real!
Whenever the thought of lemon in desserts squeezes in my mind, my heart skips a beat every time. So when I sighted Lemon Meringue Tart on the recipe card of ENSP, my joy knew no bounds. I dreamt of the tangy and sweet burst, the fabulous buttery crust, the eternally glorious lemon cream topped with generously fluffy meringue. I woke up super pumped up that day. Today my dear netizens, I am here to share the recipe that took my heart away, blew away my mind and swooped my soul totally….get ready guys to take the holy dip in the celebrated Lemon Meringue Tart!!!
Lemon Meringue Tart Recipe
- Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
Total Time: 60 min
- 200g wheat flour T55
- 120g unsalted butter (in small pieces)
- 80g icing sugar
- 16g almond powder
- 40g egg (1 egg is 50g)
- 2g salt (don’t add if you are using salted butter)
- 180g lemon juice
- 240g caster sugar
- 150g unsalted butter
- 160 gelatin bloom
- zest of two lemons
- 130ml water
- 400g powdered sugar
- 200g egg whites
- Sift the flour
- In a bowl of the mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together the flour, almond powder, salt, sugar and butter (in small pieces).
- Once it comes together like sable (sand like texture), add the eggs and mix briefly.
- Roll the dough into two balls and flatten into 2cm thick disks
- Lightly sprinkle flour and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for two hours.
- Cut out circles of parchment paper 1cm larger than your tart rings size and place them on a baking sheet.
- Roll out each dough disk to a thickness of 2.5mm maintaining its circular shape. Lightly prick the dough.
- Line the tart rings and place it on a parchment paper circles. Refrigerate for an hour again
- Preheat your oven to 150C and blind bake for 15-20minutes. Finish by cooking for another 5minutes. When cooked, transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cut butter into small pieces and refrigerate
- For making gelatin bloom, soak the gelatin powder with cold water in a bowl.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a bowl and mix well
- Whisk in the lemon juice and zest
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to boil while whisking
- Put the cooled gelatin and whisky properly
- Cool the lemon cream to 40C. If you don’t have a thermometer, just put it in the fridge for a while or you could use an ice bath.
- Once it’s cooled down, add in the butter and mix for 1 minute to emulsify
- Pour it into the cooked tart shells, filling to the rim. Smooth the tops for a finished look
- Set in the freezer to set the surface of the cream
- In a saucepan mix water and sugar and cook to 118°C
- When it reaches 110°C, start whipping the egg whites simultaneously
- Pour the syrup on the egg whites and whip until firm and lukewarm
- Fill the meringue in a piping bag
- Pipe rosettes however you like and dust with confectioner’s sugar
- Gently caramelize with torch or in the oven at 200C And voila! Your lemon Meringue Tart is ready!